Saturday, October 11, 2008

GMnext.com

Good URL

It wouldn't be a complete batch of URLs without a couple from the biggest URL-aholic of them all, Peter Askew of Domainer's Gazette. In fact, in honor of Peter's 16th and 17th submission, I'm creating a new category called "SkewURLs" and labeling all his posts accordingly. Methinks this tag works on a number of levels:

1. It's 3 of the first 4 letters of his last name
2. He usually submits bad URLs so you could say he skewers them or the URLs themselves are askew
3. It kinda sounds like squirrels

Now that I've broken the seal on new labels, maybe I should go back and re-classify all the URLs I've posted to date beyond Good and Bad into more descriptive categories. I've accumulated over 260 URLs in the 11 months since I started this blog. Good and Bad just doesn't seem to tell the half of it anymore. It would be cool to be able to toggle among URLs of like attributes -- say Leading Caps, alllowercase, dubs, Print Ads, TV ads, etc. -- and maybe some trends would emerge. Let me know if you think this would be a worthwhile exercise and any suggestions you have for labels. I'll see if I can't get this done prior to Good URL Bad URL's 1 year anniversary on 11/9.

As for this URL, I like the evolution of this GM campaign. It started with the teaser SeeItNext.com and ads that didn't reveal GM was behind it all. Then over time, they stepped back from behind the curtain and now have incorporated the "next" theme into their ongoing efforts. Well done. Can't wait to see where they take it next.

No comments: